Home cooking brought to you by
A proper Spanish Tortilla recipe
Tortilla is the most typical Spanish dish. You can find it at any bar, cafeteria or restaurant and obviously every Spanish house
- 5 eggs
- 500 gr potatoes (100 gr per egg)
- Onion (optional)
- Olive oil
- We peel and cut the potatoes in thin slices and the onion (if we are using it) in julienne strips. If the potatoes are too big we can cut it in halves.
- We put the potatoes and onion in a pan and we cover them in olive oil. We cook them at medium heat until they are soft and golden.
- We remove the potatoes and onion from the pan to a big bowl, draining the oil. (we can reuse this oil).
- We add the eggs and some salt to the bowl and we mix everything together.
- Now we need a small pan, preferably non-stick (we need a pan that is the size of the tortilla we are making. The smaller and taller the edges, the juicier it will be. If it's larger and flat it will be more set and dry).
- In the pan, we add a few spoons of olive oil and the bowl mix, we cook at medium heat. We can break into it a little bit at the beginning like we were trying to scramble it. But once it's setting we let it cook, trying to give shape to it separating the edges of the tortilla from the pan.
- When we see the bottom half is mostly cooked, and when we shake the pan a little bit the tortilla is sliding, it's the time to flip it. We take a plate larger than the pan, and we put it on top, we flip it and we will have the tortilla on our plate. We put the pan back to the stove and we slide the tortilla carefully from the plate to the pan so it doesn't brake to cook the other half, we cook 2-3 more minutes, depending on how juicy we want it. And we are done!