A winter rebuild of a Weber Grill: Part one – Easier and cheaper than you think

Rather than buy a new grill, I will be rebuilding my old one. Should be a fun winter project for a tinker like myself.

2w ago
3.1K

A few years ago my wife and I bought our first home. In the backyard was an old Weber grill. The grill was nothing special, but was functional and saved us going out and spending money we did not have on a grill. Over the years the trusty Weber has gotten to a point that it needed some work. I had thought of just replacing it, but after seeing that a replacement was going to cost $500-1000 minimum, my gears started turning.

I love a project. For me I find it rewarding to take something apart, make it better and then put it all back together. The sense of accomplishment is a great feeling. There is also the added benefit of saving a pile of money. I am no stranger to rebuilding items, I have tried to share some journeys over on DriveTribe. This year I wrapped up a Ducati 1000SS reconditioning and a Bimota SB8R project. Also have been working on a mini remodel of my modus single bay garage. We installed batcave lights and other little additions to make it better for my needs.

Sad state for sure.

Sad state for sure.

Weber is a super well known grill and has a quality reputation. I can not say I am a grill master, or even a cook, but this little guy was perfect for afternoon cook outs with friends. The size is perfect for our needs. What I really was amazed at was the fact that Weber still supplies so many service items for these slightly older grills. Today most people assume that every product is disposable, but Weber seems committed to supplying parts for the vast majority of their grills. In my research I found out that mine was a 2002 model, that means this grill is the better part of 20 years old and I can still get parts directly from the manufacture!

Rust had taken a toll on some of the components. I created a list of parts I know for sure I would need or want to replace. Ignition system, grill slats, warming rack, burners, and the "flavor bars". It was funny that the triangles that go over the burner tubes were called flavor bars.

As with any good project, everything needed to be cleaned, taken apart and inspected. This was a really simple job. Just a couple of bolts and everything was apart. Hit it all with some degreasing fluid and a pressure washer.

Right now it looks rather ugly, but nothing seems overly damaged. I am confident that everything will clean up well. Plan to repaint most of the grill.

I moved everything into my basement shop for the winter refresh. Will be sure to share some more details as everything gets stripped, cleaned, refinished and reinstalled. At this point I have a small pile of new parts just waiting to go back on. My hope is to be 100% done with this project for about $175 invested.

Hope you guys enjoy this project. I would love to see some of winter projects that you are working on.

Join In

Comments (2)

  • I did this exact project a few years ago to my wife's old Weber grill! It was highly satisfying and the benefit was great food!

      15 days ago
  • Not too many winter projects here. Nice post.

      19 days ago
2