Baked zucchini fritters recipe #sidesmatter
The delicious onslaught begins...
This recipe is my favorite for using up the bounty of zucchini my garden provides every year. Many fritter recipes instruct cooks to grate the zucchini and onions and then squeeze out the liquid - I always feel like I'm squeezing out a bunch of nutrients when I do that, so I don't. (Note: I've only been able to get away with this when I'm using fresh zucchini - I've found that I DO need to squeeze the liquid out of frozen, grated zucchini, or I end up with a runny mess!).
A light, tasty addition to your future cookout (or any other meal, for that matter)!
- 2 large zucchini, grated (about 2 cups). Note – If using frozen, grated zucchini, you may want to squeeze out excess liquid
- 1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 - 2/3 (or more) cups of plain panko
- 1 tbsp. Mrs. Dash (Original flavor)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Olive oil (for baking)
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with olive oil.
- Mix everything together in a bowl. Add panko until the batter reaches a consistency somewhere between pancake batter and cookie dough.
- Using a quarter-cup measuring cup, scoop out portions of the mixture and place them on the cookie sheet - flatten them out as you go. You should end up with 12 or so fritters - don't be tempted to go bigger, as the larger size makes them more difficult to flip later (I know from hard experience!).
- Spray the top of each fritter with olive oil. Bake 20 minutes, then flip the fritters and cook an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.