Cheese curd pastry recipe: perfect for breakfast, and weddings
Small and tasty cakes suitable for breakfast as well as a wedding
Small round cakes with different fillings are very popular in the Czechia, as well as surrounding countries. You can buy them in bakeries as grab-and-go pastry or they are essential for weddings as "výslužka", which is a box of wedding sweets to take home.
I love cheese curd, poppy, and walnuts ones. Today, I will share the recipe for cheese curd filling, but really, you can use everything including Nutella, jam, apples... anything.
- 700g flour
- 30g fresh yeast
- 250ml of milk
- 280g of sugar
- 200g of butter
- 5 eggs
- lemon peel
- 500g of cheese curd
- 100g of raisins
- Warm milk at 35 degrees Celsius. Add yeast, salt and 80g of sugar, and let it grow for 5-10 minutes.
- Melt 100g of butter.
- Mix 500g of flour, melted butter, lemon peel, 2 eggs and the yeast mixture together and prepare the dough until it's smooth and not sticky. If necessary, add some flour.
- Leave it to grow/prove for at least one hour.
- Divide the dough into small parts and prepare balls with diameter approximately 8 cm. Place it on oiled baking sheet and force a hole in the middle (see the picture).
- Take one egg and whip it. Smear the whipped egg on the dough rings and then fill the holes with filling and streusel.
- Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for approximately 20 minutes.
- Pickle the raisins in brandy for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix cheese curd, 2 eggs, 100g of sugar, and raisins with brandy together and let it rest for a while. It shouldn´t be runny.
- Fill the dough with the mixture, it is usually one full soup spoon per cake.
- Melt 100g of butter. Add 100g of sugar and 200g of flour into hot butter and prepare crumbly mixture.
- Add the streusel on the top of cheese curd filling.
Now, prepare a coffee or cocoa and bon appetite!