Cherry-berry chocolate blondies recipe
A unique sweet treat just in time for Valentine's Day!
Chocolate covered berries have always been a classic treat on Valentine's Day. This unique recipe combines those with a ridiculously simple batch of blondies to create your new favorite go-to sweet. If you're not sure what blondies are - they are a desert bar, much like brownies. The key difference is that there is no cocoa used in blondies, and instead vanilla reigns the supreme flavor. There's only one certain way to find out, and that is to try them yourself!
In this recipe, I used a mix of frozen cherries and berries from Trader Joe's. If you can get a mix like this, I highly recommend it. But you can use only cherries, a berry mix, or only strawberries or raspberries. This would probably be amazing with strawberries. You could even leave out the chocolate chips and instead drizzle some Nutella on top. Make these your own!
There is one warning with this recipe - this batter is THICK. It is difficult to spread into the pan, but be patient.
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 - 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (depending on how strong you want it)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks (semi-sweet melt easiest, but use whatever kind you like!)
- 1 cup frozen cherries and/or berry mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Line a square 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter (in a microwave-safe bowl) in the microwave for 30-second intervals. Transfer the melted butter into a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and mix. This batter is thick, but it's better to mix it by hand.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Combine well.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and frozen cherries/berries, folding them into the batter.
- Carefully pour batter into your prepared baking pan. Spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, depending on your oven. It is best practice to check your baked goods at the earliest time. At 30 minutes, stick a toothpick or knife into the center of the blondies. Bake until it comes out clean.
- Cool for at least one hour before cutting and serving, or else they will fall apart.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired!
Substitute the chocolate on the inside for a drizzle of your favorite chocolate topping on the outside. Also, use whatever combination of cherries or berries you prefer. You can be creative with this recipe. I bet even banana would be scrumptious!