Here is a fantastic recipe for fudge-like brownies made from scratch. The recipe comes from classic Hollywood film actress Katharine Hepburn, and was published in The New York Times shortly after her death.
One of my favorite films of hers is Bringing Up Baby from 1938. She plays an heiress who annoys her on screen love interest (played by the strikingly handsome Cary Grant) until he falls in love with her. It's one of the first classic films I ever saw, and was my biggest inspiration to begin writing my own stories at a very young age. It's a zany, wholesome romantic comedy, and perfect for film lovers looking for something new to watch in quarantine.
These brownies are also the perfect way to pass the time. Let's get on with it!
- 1 stick butter
- 2-4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (depending on how chocolatey you want them. I used baking chocolate from Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish, or line with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals on half power. Most baking chocolate will include instructions on the packaging for the best results.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar, vanilla, and eggs until well combined.
- Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Sift the flour first, then measure the 1/4 cup. Add this, the salt, and optional walnuts. Mix until just combined.
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, depending on your oven. A toothpick or sharp knife inserted should come out clean.
- Cool and serve! Make this your own and add any toppings you like, such as a scoop of ice cream or spritz of whipped cream.
Katharine Hepburn, with minor changes by me
After your brownies are nicely cooled, make some tea, curl back up on the couch and turn on a timeless film! In this clip, Hepburn and Grant go on the hunt for a priceless dinosaur bone that the dog stole!