Comfort food: How to make Pulav
Pulav is a dish that is common across India
Many would have had the famous rice dish of Pulav, and there are many ways to make it.
What sets this rice dish apart is that it is quite easy to cook – you can make it at short notice and impress your date or friends (when we're allowed to see people again!). And you do not need to cook rice separately for this. You can just add the raw rice and the whole mixture cooks at the same time.
Green peas are a really important component. They're available in multiple forms: soft (farm fresh) or hard (processed). If using the hard ones, soak overnight, or boil for a few minutes before you start to cook.
Here is the recipe for this spicy and tasty Pulav that I make on many occasions.
- Green peas (100g)
- Tomatoes (2)
- Onion (2)
- Potatoes (1)
- Red chilli (3 to 4)
- Ginger garlic paste (2 tablespoons)
- Cloves (a few)
- Star anise (a few)
- Cardamom (a few)
- Bay leaves (a couple of big leaves, broken)
- Cumin (2 teaspoons)
- Black stone flower (a few)
- Cinnamon (2-3)
- Oil (3-4 tablespoons)
- Biryani masala - 2 tablespoon +1 teaspoon (in the end)
- Garam masala - (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (1 tablespoon, then as required)
- Red chilli powder (1 teaspoon)
- Turmeric powder (1 teaspoon)
- Black pepper (a few)
- Beans (a handful)
- Coriander leaves
- Carrot (half)
- In a cooker, pour the oil and heat it for a minute
- Add all the spices - Cloves, red chilli, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, black stone flower, and bay leaves and let it heat for a minute. Stir it well
- Add the chopped onions and stir the mixture well, until the onions changes colour. Add ginger and garlic paste and mix well
- Add the tomatoes, beans, potatoes (all chopped) and the green peas
- Stir the mixture well
- Add all the masalas - biryani masala (2 tablespoons), garam masala, red chilli powder, salt, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Stir the mixture.
- Let the mixture heat for 5-7 minutes; stir well occasionally
- Wash the raw rice (3 cups) and add the raw rice in the cooker
- Add water 6 glasses of water (for 3 cups of rice)
- Stir it a couple of times and add one teaspoon of biryani masala and salt, if required
- Put the lid on, close it properly and put the induction stove in pressure cooker mode
- Let it cook for 25 minutes
- After 25 minutes, leave it for 10 min and then open it. It is ready to serve
- Add coriander leaves (if available) after you open the cooker and mix well. This adds to the taste.
P.S: Add green peas, red chilli powder and salt as per your spice requirement. Potatoes elevate the taste, and if you do not want to add it, it is fine. You can also add chopped cabbage, carrot and cauliflower to play with the taste.