Crescia di Pasqua recipe
Easter savoury pie typical of the Marche region. Delicious and easy to make... are you ready?
Crescia di Pasqua (in some areas also called Easter pizza or cheesecake) is a leavened savoury pie typical of many areas of central Italy.
La Crescia is made from flour, eggs, pecorino and parmesan, and is traditionally served for breakfast on Easter morning, accompanied by boiled eggs, salami and red wine or, again, served on the Easter Monday picnic.
My First Crescia
The first time I ate it was an Easter many years ago. I was a guest with some friends in Pesaro, we spent the night dancing in a disco in Riccione, we returned at 7 in the morning drunk and exhausted.
We would have slept 24 hours but it was not possible: at 1pm we were supposed to have lunch with my friend's family.
So, after sleeping 4 hours, we woke up and had the typical Easter breakfast: Crescia, salami, boiled eggs and... wine. Honestly, I thought I was going to die.
At one point during the day the family lunch became a family dinner, but it was foreseeable wasn't it? We're Italian...
I hadn't eaten Crescia for many years, so this year I made up my mind, asked the recipe from a grandmother from the Marche region and went to work!
Making the Crescia is not tricky. The only thing you need to make sure you do well is the dough. The rest is... a piece of cake!
- 500 gr flour
- 6 eggs
- 130 gr Parmesan
- 130 gr Pecorino Romano
- 100 gr olive oil (50gr can be replaced with butter)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 yeast cubes
- pepper to taste
- Dissolve the yeast with the sugar and a spoonful of water. Let it rest for a quarter of an hour, you will see that the yeast will increase in volume.
- Pour the flour into a bowl or on a work surface, form a hole in the centre, add the Parmesan, the pecorino cheese, the salt, the pepper. Mix well, then add the dissolved yeast and mix again.
- Beat the eggs in a deep dish or bowl (both egg white and yolk), add the oil (in the case also butter).
- Mix well.
Mixture 1 + Mixture 2
- Combine the two compounds and knead until a smooth and homogeneous dough is obtained, as in the video.
- Grease a 20-22cm diameter pan, I used a pot. The important thing is that it does not have plastic handles, because we have to bake in the oven. Cover it with a dish towel and let the dough rest for 3 hours in a warm place.
- Preheat the static oven to 180 °. Cook the Crescia for an hour. Remove from the oven, let it cool down and then remove it from the pan.
- In the photos you see a Crescia made with half the quantities, if you make 6 eggs it will double the size!
While cooking the perfume is delicious: I would like to bottle it and send it to all of you!