Easy boozy cake bites recipe
These are guaranteed to make you many friends
- 300g dark chocolate
- 350g of your favourite icing
- Cake Mix of your choice and whatever you need to bake it (1 box)
- 3oz Bourbon or Rum (or your other favourite alcohol)
- Sprinkles (Optional garnish)
- A lot of space in your freezer
- Bake the cake mix of your choice. You can use any flavour of cake you wish. (See examples of combinations bellow.)
- Cool down the cake completely. Crumble it into a large bowl.
- Add 350g of your favourite icing (See examples of combinations bellow.)
- Add 2 to 3 oz of your booze of choice (See examples of combinations bellow.)
- Mix together by hand to form a dough that has the consistency of ground meat. Do not press too hard on the cake crumbs so they don't turn to dust. The goal is to hydrate all of the cake crumbs with the icing and booze.
- Place mixture in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop and your hands, form balls of dough of about 1 inch in diameter. Place the balls on a parchment paper lined dish that will fit in your freezer.
- Place the balls in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Before you take them out, melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Don't over heat the chocolate, once it is melted take the balls out of the freezer.
- Dip each ball into the melted chocolate. Place the balls back on your parchment paper lined dish. Add your favourite garnish on top before the chocolate firms up. (See examples of combinations bellow.)
- Place the cake balls back in the freezer for 15 minutes or until the chocolate is fully firmed up.
- Enjoy them chilled. These should be kept in the fridge and stay good for about a week (as if you won't eat them all immediately anyways)
I would not bother making a cake from scratch since it will get soaked in booze and since the rest of the recipe is enough work already, but if you feel up to it, go ahead!
The picture above shows:
- Chocolate cake + Chocolate icing + Bourbon + Dark chocolate and rainbow sprinkles
Here are a few other ideas for the flavour parings:
- Red velvet cake + Vanilla icing + Rum + White chocolate and red sprinkles
- "Funfetti" cake + Coconut icing + Coconut Rum + White chocolate with a rainbow of candy melts mixed in and rainbow sprinkles)
- Autumn Spices cake + Pumpkin Spice Icing + Rum + Milk chocolate and crushed ginger snaps.
- Coffee Cake + Coffee icing + Irish Cream + Milk chocolate and white sprinkles.
- Vanilla cake with + Vanilla icing with Oreos crushed into it + Chocolate liqueur + White Chocolate with Oreos crushed into it and topped with more crushed Oreos.
Obviously if for some reason or another you don't want the boozy element, you can add any other liquid like coffee, milk, "fake" milk or a sweet syrup.
Put your own other paring ideas in the comments!