Eat the Six Nations: Ireland – Gammon, Boxty and fried egg bap recipe
Perfect for your half-time snack, or as a mid-game meal (even if you're just watching...)
Good news! The Six Nations Championship is back for 2021, giving us something a little more exciting to be watching during the weekend than the same old re-runs of our old 'comfort shows' that we've been watching over and over again on Netflix.
Of course, we can't go for the usual setup of big BBQs or buffets with loads of friends, but that doesn't mean we can't get our chef's hat on for a spot of top-notch game grub. Thankfully, Ben Forte over at Kamado Joe has anticipated this, and whipped up six recipes perfect for accompanying your Six Nations viewing. Ireland's recipe is a Gammon, Boxty and Fried Egg bap, and each recipe even comes with a perfect pairing courtesy of Wild Beer Co!
Image: Nick Hook
- 4x Large Organic Free-Range eggs
- 4x Gammon Steaks (Smoked/Unsmoked depending on your preference)
- 500g Maris Piper Potatoes (Mashed)
- 500g Maris Piper Potatoes (Grated)
- 400g Plain Flour
- 200ml Milk
- 2tbsp Butter
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 4x Soft White Baps
- First up you need to make your boxty. Take your grated potatoes and wrap them in a clean tea towel and squeeze all the liquid out of the potato.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potato, grated potato, flour and baking powder and mix thoroughly.
- Add the butter, olive oil and then slowly add the milk a little at a time until it forms a thick batter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fire up your BBQ, or your stove if you don't have access to a BBQ. Setup your BBQ/Stove with a reversible griddle (or a cast iron fraying pan) get to a high heat around 180-200C.
- Now it’s time to get grilling. Grill the gammon steaks for around 5mins each side, until the internal temperature reaches 71C.
- Next up grill your boxtys, they only take a couple minutes each side.
- Finally, fry your eggs.
- Time to build your bap. Gammon on the bottom, followed by boxty and topped with an egg. Treat yourself to some ketchup and a Wild Beer Co Millionaire Stout
Tasting Notes for Wild Beer Co. Millionaires Stout: a decadent stout to go with a big rich dish. This piles big flavours on big flavours, it's the only way to go on a 6 Nations day, to get you in the mood and ready for a big day at home on the sofa!
Ben Forte/Kamado Joe