Eat the Six Nations: Wales – Welsh rarebit pizza recipe
Welsh Rarebit Pizza is a delicious alternative to your traditional Margherita pizza
Picture the scene: You're sat watching the Six Nations matches, half time rolls around, and you don't have anything to eat... nightmare!
Well, Ben Forte at Kamado Joe has you covered, with his recipes created just to celebrate the 2021 Six Nations Championship. For Wales, Ben has rustled up this delicious Welsh Rarebit Pizza as the ideal easy-going half-time snack.
Image: Nick Hook
Not only is there delicious pizza on the menu, but also a perfectly-paired beverage too, courtesy of The Wild Beer Co's Ninkasi Beer - spot on!
- 2tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Instant Dried Yeast
- 500g '00' Flour
- 300ml Cold Water
- 2tbsp Butter
- 3tbsp Plain Flour
- 200ml Milk
- 150g Cheddar Cheese (plus extra to top)
- 50ml Ale
- 1tsp Mustard
- 1tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Leek
- Put your flour in a large mixing bowl and add the salt and dried yeast.
- Slowly add the water and combine into a dough ball.
- Knead the dough and then set aside in a warm place for a couple hours to rise.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the flour to make a roux, then slowly add your milk stirring as you go.
- Once it is all combined add your ale, cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and stir until smooth. Allow to cool.
- When the sauce has cooled you can add the egg yolks to the mixture.
- Get your grill really hot, around 500C and place your pizza stone or DoJoe pizza accessory onto the BBQ.
- Separate the dough into four balls and hand stretch them into round pizza bases or roll them with a rolling pin (rolling can push all the air out and make the dough less likely to bubble up so stretching is the preferred method)
- Add the welsh rarebit sauce as the base layer on your pizza, then add the leeks and finally another sprinkle of cheese.
- Put the pizza onto the pizza stone in the BBQ and cook for around 5 mins or until the crust bubbles up and starts to brown then remove and serve with a Wild Beer Co Ninkasi.
Tasting notes for Wild Beer Co Ninkasi: A celebratory beer to get everyone in the zone for a big game. The beer has a small amount of apple juice that makes it the perfect partner to Cheddar cheese. It's dry and moreish and bubbly and moreish and goes with cheese and more(ish)...
Ben Forte / Kamado Joe