Feeding 5 for under $15 (Meal 4)
Mussel, Asparagus, Pasta= Delightful and Filling
Pasta is always a great choice for a filling and budget friendly meal. Instead of doing the usual spaghetti or chicken alfredo recipe (both of which I love) sometimes I like to change it up and do mussels. This recipe hits all the marks. I typed up the steps below, but I don't measure or time anything when I make this so there's no specifics but there's many variations all over the internet if you prefer a more exact recipe to follow.
1. Cook your noodles as instructed on the box. I used Fettuccine noodles.
2. In a separate pan add about 2 tablespoons of oil and a finely chopped garlic clove, and cook over medium heat until garlic softens.
3. Add your mussels to the oil with about a 1/2 cup of white wine and 1/2 cup of veggie broth (sorry I don't measure I eye ball and taste, but I think that's pretty accurate). Cook until mussels are ready.
4. Cut asparagus into 2-3 inch pieces and cook in some oil add a bit of salt to taste.
5. Once the noodles, mussels and asparagus are prepared combine them in a large bowl and season with basil, parsley and salt to taste.
As I mentioned this recipe is filling on it's own but the ingredients leave enough room in the $15 budget if you'd like to add a baguette or some kind of bread to serve with it. There wasn't any leftover, and there never is when I make this but that's probably because it's so good. This recipe took less that 30 minutes and only came to $13.29.