Feta pasta was so last week... this week's TikTok trend is corn ribs
This healthy alternative works perfectly as a side or snack!
If you've been on TikTok recently, you probably would have come across the feta pasta hack taking over the platform - where users bake a whole piece of feta cheese along with fresh cherry tomatoes, herbs, oil and spices, then once done, add cooked pasta to the dish - resulting in a delicious, quick, and most importantly, easy pasta dish.
But, as is the nature of trends, they get old very quickly.
Now, the newest trend going viral on TikTok is 'corn ribs'! That's right - ribs made by cutting quarter strips of corn, generously coating them in a spiced marinade and then baking them. The final product is a deliciously healthy side dish for seafood and meats, or as a snack for when those mid-afternoon hunger pangs hit.
This hack was popularised by Mon Mack from Brisbane, Australia, who has had over 350,000 people become a fan of his clever little idea. He also adds that this delightful way of enjoying corn doesn't leave any kernels in your teeth, as it would if you ate corn off the cob.
Be sure to use a sharp knife when cutting your ribs (watch out for your fingertips), in a tip to base fashion. Also, avoid cutting your corn on the side as this can cause the cob to roll away and you'll just end up losing those precious golden kernels!
- 2 corn cobs
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 2 tsp of sweet paprika
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of chilli mayonnaise (for garnish) (optional)
- 2 tbsp of finely sliced spring onion (for garnish) (optional)
- 2 tbsp of lemon or lime juice (for garnish) (optional)
- 2 tbsp of yogurt (for garnish) (optional)
- Cut off the ends of the corn, and allow it to microwave for 30 seconds. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut the corn into four strips, cutting it in through the middle first, then splitting each half into a quarter.
- Add the oil to a bowl, then add all the spices and mix well.
- Brush the oil and spice mixture over the corn strips, thoroughly coating them.
- Line up the corn ribs up on a baking tray, and allow to cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish by drizzling chilli-mayo or yogurt over the ribs, squeeze a bit of lemon or lime juice, and sprinkle over some freshly chopped spring onion.
Mon Mack @ TikTok (revised by Fatima)