Ok don't think for a second that i'm against gluten, I love the stuff. But this Torta Caprese is the easiest and most tasty thing you can make this afternoon before your friends come over... Or maybe just for you and your other half, the least guests the more you have for yourself right?
What you need:
- 8 ounces of dark chocolate, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup of non salted butter
- 4 Eggs
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of almond powder
- A splash of amaretto liqueur
- A few whole almonds and cocoa powder for presentation (Optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
2. Butter a 20 to 25 cm round cake pan. (8 to 10 inches) (It also works in a square or whatever shape you fancy. Just make sure there is enough surface for the batter to cover the cake pan in no more than 3cm of thickness.)
3. In the microwave, melt the chocolate and the butter together in a bowl.
4. In a large bowl, mix the eggs and the sugar with an electric mixer until it triples in volume.
5. With a spatula, delicately and gradually fold in alternation the chocolate and butter mixture and the almond powder. Mix until mixture is homogenized but don't over mix or you will deflate the eggs.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool completely (if you can control yourself). Take out of the cake pan.
8. Serve with a few almonds on top and a powdering of cocoa powder.
I hope you try it!