How to cook the ultimate lamb chops
We asked Spiros Palaiologos, head chef at Bakalaki in Singapore, how he makes his delicious lamb chops and roasted potatoes
Post sponsored by
Bakalaki is one of, if not the finest Greek restaurants in Singapore, and its head chef, Spiros Palaiologos, knows a thing or two about how to make lamb taste incredible. He moved to the country seven years ago and has been working in kitchens for 22 years.
We caught up with him and asked him to share a recipe for the FoodTribe community, and he gave us this amazing insight in how to cook lamb chops with roast potatoes.
As with all cooking, quality of ingredients is important. Many people will focus on the meat, but when a dish relies heavily on a range of herbs and spices, it's important to make sure they're of a high quality too. Spiros recommends The Urban Spice Shop, which is based in Singapore and supplies restaurants and foodservice customers with organic, hand-packed spices from farms across Sri Lanka, India and Madagascar.
Don't forget about the quality of herbs and spices when cooking
"I tried out their spices and knew immediately they were of a very high quality and they'd be an interesting product to work with," he said. "The restaurant opened in 2016 and finding good quality spices was a challenge in the beginning. Good quality spices elevate the taste of a dish to another level. In every kitchen you need good spices whether that kitchen is at home or at a restaurant — flavour is so important and spices make a dish smell good and brings food to new levels."
Without further ado then — get stuck in! Don't forget to let us know how you got on with your efforts in the comments.
- 1.5kg of lamb chops
- 0.5 tablespoon of dry thyme
- 3 stems of rosemary
- 0.5 tablespoon of dry sage
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 0.5 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon seat salt
- 250ml extra virgin olive oil
- Place all the above ingredients in a stainless bowl and marinade the lamb chops, mixing well.
- Store it in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Grill the lamb chops to your liking.
- 2kg of potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons of coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups of extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into big cubes.
- Place all the above ingredients into a stainless steel bowl and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cook for 30-40 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (360 Fahrenheit) until the potatoes are soft, fully cooked, and slightly browned on the edges.
- Serve with the lamb chops and extra lemon wedges