I tried the TikTok feta pasta and improved it – Here's my recipe
Here's the recipe for my take on feta pasta
I've never been good at following a recipe to the T. I get inspired by recipes but then get ideas while executing them that make me go off-script. Like anyone who's been on Tiktok, I kept seeing that Feta Pasta recipe that @grilledcheesesocial and @feelgoodfoodie went viral for. Everyone seemed to try and love this recipe so I figured I would have a go at it. Check out the hashtag #uunifetapasta if you don't know what I'm going on about.
This is indeed delicious. But let me give you a few tips that were a game-changer for me.
- A block of feta cheese (140 g)
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- Pasta of your choice of shape (500g)
- Greek Salad seasoning
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Garlic
- Fresh basil (20 leaves)
- Olive Oil
Prep the sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F
- Dice your tomatoes and onions and place in an oven-safe deep metal pan
- Slice and add to the pan half of the basil leaves along with a sprinkle of oregano, dried garlic, greek salad seasoning, and pepper.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and mix everything together.
- Make a spot in the middle of the pan and place your entire feta block there. Make sure it is in contact with the pan.
- Top your feta with a drizzle of olive oil and a bit of greek salad seasoning.
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the feta is a bit roasted and has softened completely.
Cook the Pasta
- Once your sauce is in the oven start to boil the pasta according to the packaging's instructions but instead of salting your water, add the water that the feta is sold with in your cooking water. (This is a showstopper move)
- When the pasta is ready, reserve a cup of pasta water and drain the rest. Put the pasta back in the pot you boiled them in.
- Add everything from your feta-tomatoes pan into the pasta along with a bit of pasta water and mix everything together until the feta is well distributed.
- Serve with fresh chopped basil and pepper on top.
Adding an onion really helps bring sweetness to the sauce. Cooking the pasta with the feta water was a game-changer, it makes the pasta itself taste of feta even before you add the sauce.
Olivia L Daoust