Ian's New Year Recipe: Dumplings (chives & shrimp filling)
Dumplings are the essential food of Lunar New Year. They can be filled with almost everything: pork, beef, cabbage, shrimp, green onion… even potato! But as a northern Chinese who lives in a coastal city (Qingdao if you are curious), I prefer our classic filling combination: chives (not ordinary chives but Chinese chives/garlic chives/Chinese leek), pork and shrimp. Here's my recipe.
- 500g flour
- Around 240g warm water (about 35 degree C)
- 1g salt
- 500g pork (or beef or mutton)
- 250g peeled shrimp (optional)
- 500g chives (or Chinese cabbage or just cabbage 😄)
- 30g sesame oil
- 30g olive oil
- 20g Shaoxing wine (or cooking wine)
- 20g ginger powder
- 30-100g chopped green onion (optional)
- 5g salt
- 10g concentrated chicken soup
- 10g pepper (finally not Sichuan peppercorn)
- 3g Sichuan peppercorn powder (but here it is 😂) (optional)
- 5g white sugar (optional)
- 30g soy sauce
- 15g oyster sauce
- Mix the salt with flour, then add water.
- Stir and knead until the mixture becomes dough.
- Cover it with plastic wrap, leave it for about 20 minutes, then knead again.
- Cut the dough into small pieces and roll them into wrappers with rolling pin.
- Chop the meat into mince.
- Add all those ingredients to the minced meat and mix them up.
- Take one wrapper, place a small piece of filling (around 20g-30g depends on your wrappers' size) in the middle.
- Place a little bit of water around the wrapper to make it stiky then fold it.
- Hold it with your forefingers and thumbs of both hands, then pinch the wrapper tightly with these four fingers.
- That's how you make one dumpling, now finish the rest by repeating those steps above.
Two ways to cook dumplings #1: steaming
- Put the dumplings into a steamer, steam them for 10-15 minutes.
Two ways to cook dumplings #2: boiling
- Boil the water, put 15-20 dumplings into the pot at a time.
- Boil them for 6-8 minutes, keep stirring them gently.
- When they're floating and bulging, that means they're ready to serve!
1. If you don't want to make dumpling wrappers yourself, you can buy them from market. 2. You can have them with vinegar, vinegar with chili sauce, soy sauce, etc. 3. If you choose to boil them, don't overcook 'cause they'll burst. Yep that's true!
And here's a bonus recipe for you. If you can't finish your dumplings and they become leftover the next day, don't worry! Fry them! Heat the pot, add some oil, put leftover dumplings into the oil and fryyyyyy~ Simple as that! Hope you like them and happy New Year to you all! 🥳