Ian's Simple Recipe #3: Sautéed shredded potatoes
Having French fries everyday? It's time to change!
I love potatoes. I love chips, French fries, mashed potatoes… They're my favourite. But there's a quicker, easier way to cook potatoes and it's quite popular among Chinese families. Now I've made it better (I guess) and here's the recipe. Hope you like it.
- 2 mid-size potatoes
- 10g sliced garlic
- 10g sliced green onion (optional)
- 10g white sugar
- 20g vinegar
- 10g concentrated chicken soup (or 6g salt)
- 10g chili pepper (or chili oil, optional)
- Sichuan peppercorns (or Sichuan peppercorn oil, optional)
- Olive oil
- Shred potatoes, wash them for 3 minutes to clean all the starch inside.
- Then drain the water.
- Heat the pot using maximum fire. Don't add oil now.
Let's do it!
- When the pot is hot enough, add oil then quickly add sliced garlic, chili pepper, Sichuan peppercorns.
- Add shredded potatoes, then give it a quick stir.
- Now add sliced green onion.
- Add white sugar and vinegar, keep stirring.
- Add concentrated chicken soup, mix them up.
- Actually that was the last step. Enjoy!
1. It's okay if there's flame in the pot while cooking and goes out quickly. That might add extra flavour to the meal. 2. Remember to leave the shredded potatoes in water for a couple of minutes, that will clean all the starch inside and make potatoes crisp (but not like chips).