IHOP goes flipping mad for pancakes
IHOP is set to launch a fast-casual concept this spring, called 'Flip'd'
IHOP has cooked up a spin-off of its insanely popular house of pancakes. Company president Jay Johns says they plan to “flip" expectations so much, IHOP even went and put it in the name.
The company announced plans last week to launch 'Flip’d by IHOP' next April in Atlanta, GA. Additional sites in New York City, Washington, DC, Denver, and San Francisco are under exploration for 2020 as well, IHOP said.
The branding refers to the obvious — burgers and pancakes flipped on the griddle — but also a hopeful category differentiator:
"A breakfast fast casual that leads with food, not beverages that's different.
“There’s a tremendous amount of people who go out and get their morning coffee and settle for whatever food they happen to have. We’re going to flip that expectation in the other direction,” Johns says.
IHOP has 1,708 restaurants, making it America’s largest sit-down chain. Flip’d will be a stand-alone concept focusing on good quality breakfast food served fast.
Flip’d by IHOP
IHOP research shows consumers are after speed and convenience.
Flip’d’s menu will borrow inspiration from IHOP favorites, including its buttermilk pancakes. But there will unique, to-go elements mixed in as well.
We really fancy the Pancake Bowls with made-to-order pancakes served in a bowl and finished with toppings like fresh berries and sauces or savory ingredients, including scrambled eggs, hickory smoked bacon pieces, and jack and cheddar cheeses. But maybe not aaaall at once.
The Flip'd menu will include *apologies in advance for making you hungry*
- A Build Your Own Pancake Bar with a choice of made-in-house pancakes or oatmeal as a base and a variety of mix-ins and toppings from the Top It Off bar, such as fresh blueberries, strawberries, and pineapple; fruit compotes; chocolate chips; caramel sauce... yum.
- Egg combos with a choice of breakfast meats and an assortment of egg sandwiches made with two scrambled eggs and premium toppings on a toasted Brioche bun.
- A variety of made-to-order breakfast burritos and bowls with options like the Bacon Temptation with two eggs, hickory-smoked bacon, roasted tomatoes and queso over crispy breakfast potatoes, or The Garden with baby arugula, sautéed mushrooms, roasted tomatoes and avocado cream sauce over crispy breakfast potatoes.
- Ultimate Sandwiches with choice of an all-natural Black Angus Steakburger, Buttermilk Crispy Chicken from all-natural breast meat, or grilled chicken breast.
- Grab-and-go salads and wraps, freshly-baked goods and more.
- Freshly-squeezed orange juice, Signature Coffee Brews, including Nitro and specialty espresso beverages.
"The breakfast counter-service landscape is massive. Between Dunkin’ and Starbucks alone, there were 24,244 restaurants in the US at the end of 2018. Yet as far as breakfast-driven quick-serves that focus on food, we think we have found a need," Johns says.
IHOP breakfast counter-servic
Flip’d will have an open and interactive kitchen. When guests order, they’ll see it being built, like most fast casuals. Looks like IHOP has officially Flip'd breakfast expectations.
Customers will be able to order online or at the Digital Kiosk