During these difficult times, I have found I have a lot of extra time on my hands, so I decided why not come up with new marinades for meats and other dishes my family love.
With BBQ season being well and truly upon us, I decided to try out a new marinade for an all-time crowd-pleaser: lamb chops. Inspired by my Indian heritage and our love of spicy and bold flavours, I created a Kashmiri inspired lamb chops dish which I have dubbed, “Ayesha’s lamb chop special.” (Doubt that will stick, but we'll see)
Another one of the dishes served at this BBQ was fresh chicken wings (if you would like to see that recipe just comment below).
- 1kg of lamb chops
- 1tbsp of onion seeds (also known as black caraway seeds or kalonji)
- 1tbsp coriander seeds
- 1tbsp black peppercorns
- 1tbsp chilli powder
- 1tbsp tandoori powder
- 1tbsp salt
- 1tbsp mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri masala paste
- 1tbsp mustard oil
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Grind the coriander seeds and black peppercorns until coarse.
- Mix together all your dry ingredients until they are all well combined.
- Next, add in the Kashmiri masala paste. The mixture will look dry and only some of your dry ingredients will bind together.
- Now add the olive oil until the mixture starts coming together as a paste.
- Add in the mustard oil and lemon juice.
- Once all the ingredients are combined, cover the lamb chops in the marinade.
- Ideally, you would want to marinate the chops in the fridge overnight. But a couple of hours before your BBQ will also work.
- Finally, grill the chops on a BBQ and enjoy.
You can also make these on a griddle pan or in the oven. If you don't enjoy spicy food, you can also add in a tbsp of greek yoghurt.