Kung Pao Veggies with Prawn Quinoa recipe
Kung Pao, also transcribed Gong Bao or Kung Po, is a spicy, stir-fried Chinese dish made with cubes of meat, peanuts, vegetables, and chili peppers
- 1 and 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 100gms Prawns
- 3 Pineapple slices, cut into medium size pieces (canned or fresh)
- 2 Garlic cloves and a small piece of Ginger
- Handful Brussels Sprouts
- Handful Snow peas
- 3 Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 4 Button Mushrooms (halved)
- 1 Onion (medium size cubes)
- 1 and 1/2tbsp Peanuts
- 1 Veg/Chicken stock cube (optional)
- 1tbsp Corn Flour (for water starch)
- 1tbsp Honey
- 2 Red or Green Chilies
- Seasoning (salt, black pepper, chili flakes, soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce or ketchup)
- Garnish (spring onion and white and/or black sesame seeds, optional)
- Quinoa: Roast the measured quinoa for about a minute and then cook in 2 cups of water as per instruction on the packet with a pinch of salt and a dash of oil. Add the prawns just at the end in the last 3 minutes of cooking the quinoa and mix well.
- Kung Pao: Heat 2 tbsp oil, add 2 cloves of chopped garlic and ginger, add onions and cook until fragrant. Add chopped green/red chilis. Add salt to taste (note: store bought stock cubes already have salt in), 1/2tbsp black pepper, 1/2tbsp chili flakes, 1/2tbsp chili sauce or ketchup, 2tbsp soy sauce, 1tbsp vinegar, 1tbsp honey, add all the veggies and pineapple. Mix all well.
- Add 200ml water with the stock cube and cook for about 7-8 minutes or until the vegetable are tender and crunchy. Add water starch (1tbsp corn flour mixed with 4tbsp of water). Add peanuts when the sauce begins to thicken. Garnish with a lot of spring onions and white sesame seeds.
Serve the dish with lots of green salad on the side. This is a very easy and speedy recipe for Kung pao suited best for the entire family because of its tangy, spicy and sweet taste.