Low sodium, vegan, non-spicy Chili recipe
Trying to please everyone...
This dish was invented to please three family members – my father-in-law is on a low sodium diet, my future daughter-in-law dislikes spicy foods, and I don't eat meat. Feel free to change things up to match your own personal preferences!
Please note: The ingredient measurements are approximations - I usually just eyeball things as I toss them together.
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 40.5 oz can kidney beans, drained and well rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and well rinsed
- 1/2 bag Boca Crumbles (vegetarian "burger" crumbles)
- 1 28 oz can unsalted tomato sauce
- 2-4 tablespoons non-salt seasoning of your choice - I used Penzey's "Forward" seasoning (https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/forward-seasoning/c-24/p-301/pd-s )
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onions, peppers, and garlic and saute until soft. Add a few spoonfuls of water if the veggies begin to stick.
- Add beans and fake burger, cook until burger is thawed.
- Add tomato sauce and spices. Taste and season to please your own palate (for example, if I only had myself to consider, I would definitely throw in some hot peppers). Simmer for another 20 minutes.
Serve over brown rice.