Make a fast and easy cake with leftover sweets
Easy guide of how to turn yesterday's leftover sweets into a new and fresh cake, in just 15-20 short minutes. And you can adapt it to any taste!
Saving private Sponge from the trash can
You might have some leftover sponge cake or some sweet Easter bread (as is my case) inconveniently lying around from yesterday and getting drier by the minute. Instead of wondering what to do with it, why don't make a proper cake out of the already "dead" one. Here's how I do it, using my leftover Kozunak, which we've discussed yesterday:
- Whatever's left from yesterday's sponge cake or Easter bread
- 400 grams (14.1 ounces) of Mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese)
- 500 milliliters (16.9 oz) of cream (preferably full-fat)
- Some Nutella chocolate or any fruit jam (anything will do)
- Little bit of sugar (up to three tablespoons)
- Two bananas or any fruit you fancy
- A cup of medium espresso (alternatively some sweet sirup)
- Coconut shavings (or whatever toping you desire)
- Start by slicing your leftover sweet cake into same-size pieces. Then take a cake pan and put half of those pieces on the bottom tight, until you cover it as best as you can.
- Get a deep bowl, put half of the cream (250ml or 8.45oz), half of the Mascarpone cheese (200gr or 7.05 ounces) and two tablespoons of sugar in it, the use a mixer to mix them well, until you have consistently thick cream.
- Now take the espresso (doesn't have to be hot) and use half of it to syrup the cake on the bottom of the pan.
- After you've done it, get the cream you've just made and spread it over the cake - use all of it. Then slice one banana and spread the pieces over with gentle taps so they'll go inside the cream.
- Take the other half of the leftover cake slices and piece them together tightly on top, the same way you did in the bottom of the pan in step one.
- Get another bowl, put the other half of the cream (250ml or 8.45oz), the other half of the Mascarpone cheese (200gr or 7.05 ounces) and only one tablespoons of sugar. To make the second cream chocolaty, put three tablespoons of Nutella in the mix. Use the mixer until you have a consistently thick cream.
- Now take the espresso and use the other half of it to syrup the second layer of leftover cake in the pan.
- After you've done that, get the new variety of cream you've just made and spread it over the cake - use all of it. Then slice the other banana and spread it. To top it all up, spread some coconut shavings.
- Put the whole thing in the fridge for at least two hours to tighten.
- After two hours, get it out, remove the sides of the cake pan, slice it up and enjoy - you've just breathed new life in an old cake!
You can interchange pretty much everything, depending on your taste preferences. The sky is the limit.
Dunno . . someone out there