One epic vegetarian burger recipe – This patty is packing some serious flavour
Thanks Doug for another burger challenge - here is my entry!
- For the Patty:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 10 small to medium sized mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 can drained red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or 1-2 slices of stale bread
- Smoked cheese (to taste, use less if it is a strong flavour)
- Mozzarella cheese (to melt on the patties at the end)
- Lettuce for serving
- For the Salsa:
- 2 slices of pineapple rings
- 4 small, pickled gherkins
- 1 tomato
- Salt and pepper
- For the Garlic Mayonnaise:
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- Add the chopped onion to pan on a medium low heat with olive oil and butter and caramelise until golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse the mushrooms, salt and pepper, coriander, paprika, and the caramelised onions, until you have a course pate texture.
- Add drained beans, pulse, then add the breadcrumbs/stale bread and pulse until well combined. Stir through some smoked cheese of your choice. Check the taste is good before proceeding, adjust as required.
- Turn out onto a greased baking tray, then with oiled hands, form the mixture into 4 patties.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes.
- Make a quick salsa by mixing finely chopped tomatoes, gherkins, and pineapple. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the minced garlic through some of your favourite mayonnaise.
- Take the patties from the oven, cover them in mozzarella cheese, then put back in the oven with your cut buns until the cheese is melted, about 5 mins.
- To serve, spread garlic mayo on the bottom bun, then top with lettuce, bean patty, salsa, garlic mayo on your top bun, then done! I've served mine with a side of hot chips.
- Om nom nom nom nom nom nom! Enjoy!
Thanks to Jamie Oliver for the following recipe, it provided excellent inspiration to figure out my method for this one. So yum! https://youtu.be/KpQRvv_2Jw8
The final result!