Pão de queijo
Cassava flour bread with cheese
- 2 cups of cassava flour
- 1 cup of milk (water or plant-based substitute)
- 4 table spoons of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 4 oz of shredded cheese
- Pre heat the oven at 350 F (180 C).
- Combine the milk and oil and bring to boil.
- Put the tapioca flour in a bowl and mix it with the milk and oil mixture until smooth. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to cool down.
- Add the cheese and egg to the mixture until well combined.
- Scoop the dough and drop it over a baking sheet. I made 10 units using a table spoon. If the dough is too runny or soft, you can leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. It is possible to leave them an extra 5 minutes in the oven if you want an extra crispy exterior. The interior should be soft and chewy as shown in the picture.
Select a relatively hard cheese like cheddar or low moisture mozzarella. The bread should be consumed while hot or warm. Warning: Cassava bread gets hard as rock after 1 day! So, bake only what you will eat. Tip: you can freeze the scoops of raw dough and bake them later. Veganize the recipe: replace the egg with an equivalent in weight of vegan cream.
From a Brazilian cassava flour I bought once in Rio de Janeiro :D