Parma Ham huevos rancheros with crushed chilli and lime avocado recipe
Is there a better way to start the day?
Huevos rancheros is pretty much the perfect breakfast dish. A breakfast dish that can be eaten anytime of the day is definitely alright with us.
The original recipe is a traditional dish served on rural Mexican farms. We’re diverting slightly from Mexico, and taking a trip to Italy. Oh yes, this is huevos rancheros, with the very tasty addition of Parma Ham.
It all comes together with little time and effort, and the combination of flavours: the fiery chillies against the cool avocado and sweet, succulent Parma Ham, is pretty darn perfect.
- ...For the tomato sauce...
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2x 400g tins of cherry tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- ...For the eggs...
- 60g baby spinach
- 4 free range eggs
- 25g Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 120g Parma Ham
- ...For the chilli avocado...
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1/2 red chilli
- 1 bunch of coriander
- Heat the oil in a deep sided 30cm frying pan. Add the onions, garlic peppers, and chilli. Cook over a medium heat for about 8-10 minutes until softened. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes until reduced and the sauce has thickened.
- For the chilli and lime avocado, halve and stone the avocado, scoop out the flesh and roughly chop. Place in a bowl and stir in all the remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Stir the spinach in with the reduced tomato sauce and cook for a few minutes until just wilted. Use a spatula to make four wells in the tomato sauce mixture and carefully crack an egg into each well.
- Place a lid on the pan and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks remain runny.
- Remove the lid and arrange the folds of Parma Ham around each egg. Sprinkle the Parmigiano Reggiano and coriander. Dot with the chili lime avocado and serve immediately.