Pret's chocolate chip cookies recipe is here
Shut shops should provide no barrier between your taste buds and unparalleled delight
It turns out that the strength of combined populations is overwhelmingly powerful and that the resistance of giant food companies is pitifully weak; the secrets of legendary products are now more commonplace than pots of gold at the end of rainbows.
Not only has Greggs announced its recipe for making home-grown sausage, cheese and beans melts, but McDonald’s has published methods for cooking its breakfast items (surely you just stick a plastic bag in a frying pan? Doesn’t seem too difficult to me). So, that’s the starter and mains courses figured out, but what about dessert?
Well, for that we now have Pret’s chocolate chip cookies!
The coffee chain has launched its #PretRecipeBook campaign, which has seen recipes for many of the firm’s most popular treats unveiled to the world. Quite what Pret is going to do once the lockdown ends and no one visits its shops because they’re all cooking things at home is anyone’s guess.
Regardless, the recipe is here:
- 110g unsalted butter
- 170g caster sugar
- 85g light brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 190g self-raising flour
- 3g salt
- 120g large dark chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave until it has all just melted.
- Beat the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar together until combined.
- Add the egg and continue beating for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the salt and flour and mix until a smooth dough is created.
- Add the chocolate buttons and mix them in using your hands.
- Pull out eight pieces of dough and roll them into balls. Put them onto a non-stick baking tray, leaving plenty of room between each one.
- Gently press down on the dough balls to flatten them slightly before baking them for 10-12 minutes (until they appear golden and puffed up).
- Allow the cookies to cool and settle for about 30 minutes.
Social media users have been showcasing their sweet attempts:
The recipe for the cookies has been posted onto Pret's website so that it will be eternally available for you to bake billions of biscuits and consume them off a conveyor belt of sugar during the long lockdown days.
Please could someone let me know when KFC starts releasing recipes? I'll need a bit of time to convert my whole house into a fryer.