Proper baked beans #sidesmatter
My entry for Jane Fyffe's #sidesmatter challenge
For Jane's challenge I decided to do some proper baked beans because they are a wonderful side dish for any BBQ. When I say proper baked beans think "Pimp my beans" taken to a new level. I have been eating beans made basically this way my whole life. So if you are looking for some Heinz canned beans poured onto a plate this is not for you but if you are looking for baked beans worth eating keep reading.
The juice on the plate is from the chicken not the beans.
Start with a can of your favorite baked beans, it does not matter. For mine I used Bush's Best country style baked beans. I used one 28oz can which is plenty for just my wife and I.
FoodTribe this is my first time using the recipe template, so forgive me if it is not the most professional looking and I do not measure anything I go by taste, so these are rough measurements, adjust to your liking.
- 1 28oz can of backed beans
- 5 slices of bacon chopped up
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup of onions
- 3-4 Tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp of real maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp of Sriracha
- 3/4 -1 Tsp of rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tsp of cumin
- 1 Tsp of cayenne
- 1/2 Tsp ghost pepper
- 1/2 a jalapeno
- salt to taste
- Fry the chopped up bacon in a small skillet until crispy.
- In a mixing bowl add everything else and stir till well mixed.
- Add the crispy bacon into the mixing bowl with everything else and stir until mixed well.
- Pour the bowl of everything into the skillet you fried the bacon in.
- Place skillet on the grill or in the oven until it thickens nicely.
I like mine thickened to the point I do not have runny sauce. I can eat them with a fork without dripping.
This recipe will make baked beans that are thick and a little sweet and smoky with a nice hint of spicy heat, perfect for a BBQ.
Tell me what you all think of my beans in the comments below. Stay wonderful FoodTribe and remember, I love you all!