Quarantine Cuisine: easy spaghetti aglio e olio with spicy shrimp recipe
The definition of comfort food.
Italian aglio e olio is a light yet delicious pasta dish that is made of a base of garlic and oil, and served with freshly grated parmesan cheese. This recipe showcases the original garlic and oil flavours with a mix of spicy shrimp and chilli.
- 500g spaghetti
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 500g shrimp, deveined
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Chilli powder, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente, in a large pot of boiling water with an added pinch of salt.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat, and add the olive oil and garlic.
- Add the chilli flakes to the pan and toast until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and cook until pale pink and opaque.
- Add lemon juice to the pan. Season the shrimp with salt, pepper and chilli powder, to taste.
- Add 2 tbsp of the pasta cooking water to the pan, and remove from the heat.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the pan with the shrimp. Thoroughly toss the pasta through the shrimp.
- Add the chopped parsley to the pasta and mix it through.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese and some extra chilli flakes over the pasta to garnish.
- Serve hot with a side of tomato, onion and parsley salad.