Quarantine cuisine: the best banana bread recipe on the internet
We can't get enough of this!
For so many of us in self-isolation at home, cooking, and in particular, baking, has provided some form of solace during this time of chaos. Of all the baked goods people are whipping up in their kitchens, banana bread appears to be one of the favourites of many home-cooks everywhere on social media. Of the hundreds of banana bread recipes on the internet, this recipe is a sure-fire winner. Why not give it a try and find out for yourself?
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream or buttermilk)
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large banana, sliced lengthways
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with oil, or line with baking paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the melted butter, caster sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs and vanilla essence to the mixture, and whisk until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Fold the Greek yogurt and mashed bananas into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Gently press both halves of lengthways-sliced banana into the top of the batter, with the inside facing upwards, and 2cm apart from each other.
- Place the loaf pan in the oven and cook for 60 minutes until the top crust is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven, and allow to cool at room-temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the banana bread loaf from the pan and slice evenly.
- Serve warm.
You may also choose to add crushed walnuts or chocolate chips to the batter prior to baking.