Quick red lentil Dhal Recipe
I invariably cook this as a side dish but occasionally I throw in some carrots and potatoes and have it as a more substantial supper.
I love this little dish and I never measure the amounts I put in so last night I checked the correct ratio of lentils to water so here is the basic recipe.
You can change the ghee to vegetable oil if you prefer or use one of the many different kinds of lentils. However you cook it up it's delicious and filling.
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb peeled ginger
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 chopped tomatoes or 200g tinned
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Put the lentils and water in a pan and heat. Add one whole garlic clove, a thumb of ginger and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil then add the ground coriander, cumin, chilli, turmeric and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the lentils are cooked. Add more water if you need to. Cook until the lentils are soft then put into a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds and cook them till they start to pop.
- Fry the onion and garlic until golden brown and pour the sizzling oil and ingredients over the lentils.
I think this is lovely trimmed with coriander leaves but it's optional. To make a more substantial version add chopped carrot or potato in with the lentils.