Recipe: Bean, pesto and Parmigiano Reggiano Burger
Fresh and full of texture, these bean and Parmigiano Reggiano burgers aren't just a meat alternative, they're the main event!
Often meat eaters turn their nose up at veggie burgers and see them as a lesser substitute to a juicy beef burger. We'll tell you now, this burger is more than just a substitute; it's an 'on the specials board' number one option.
Image credit: Anoushka Nawaz-Khan
The creaminess of the cannellini beans, the flavour punch of the pesto and that deep richness of the Parmigiano Reggiano is what makes this burger so darn delicious. Enjoyed alone, or in a brioche bun with leaves and aioli, try to stop yourself having a second one - we dare you!
- 400g tin of cannellini beans
- 2 heaped tsp of green pesto
- 25g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Large handful breadcrumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Drain your beans and give a thorough rinse.
- Add your beans, breadcrumbs, Parmigiano Reggiano, pesto and lemon zest into a food processor until you have a thick paste – don't worry if it's not completely smooth! If it's not very thick, the burgers will fall apart when cooked. Add more breadcrumbs or cornflour to bind them together if necessary.
- Divide into two round burgers, and brush with olive oil before placing on the barbecue
- Cook for 10 mins, 5 either side, or until charred.
- Serve in brioche buns with salad and aioli or enjoy by itself!