Recipe: Charred asparagus with lemon, chilli and Parmigiano Reggiano butter
Take your barbecued asparagus to the next level with this sweet and punchy butter!
Is there anything more mouth watering than hot and freshly charred asparagus? We don't think so either.
Adding this simple but punchy butter of lemon, chilli and Parmigiano Reggiano to your asparagus brings huge flavour to this epic side dish, without over-powering that delicate asparagus taste.
Image credit: Anoushka Nawaz-Khan
TIP: heat the butter in a saucepan on the barbecue to get that extra infused, smoky flavour. Belissima! *kisses fingers like a true culinary genius*
- 1 pack of thick stemmed asparagus
- 50g of salted butter
- Half a red chilli, chopped finely
- 10g finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus shavings to serve
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- Pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper to serve
- Chop the stalk ends off your asparagus and set aside.
- Add your chilli, butter, Parmigiano Reggiano, lemon juice and zest to a small saucepan.
- Place the asparagus and the saucepan on the barbecue, turning the asparagus every minute or so to avoid over-charring.
- Keep and eye on the butter as it melts, take off the heat and give a swirl around if it starts to sizzle, and then put back on and repeat.
- When the asparagus is charred, take off the barbecue and put on a plate.
- Pour your butter into a jug, and drizzle over your asparagus, topping with Parmigiano Reggiano shavings, salt and pepper.