Recipe: Craving that rich caramel fix? You need this salted caramel slice
This Salted Caramel Slice is a fantastic treat to hit that caramel fix you have been craving.
Salt is a wonderful thing, and in this recipe, I use it to enhance the rich caramel and chocolate to make this tempting treat, truly satisfying!
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp good quality cocoa
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 30g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 200g dark cooking chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees and line a 20x20cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Combine all the base ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Press the mixture into an even layer in the base of the tin. Bake for 20mins then leave to cool.
- To make the filling place all ingredients in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until thickened slightly and golden in colour.
- Pour the mixture over the base and tap the tray to make an even layer. Bake for 12mins or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and place in the fridge to chill for 3-4 hours.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of lightly simmering water. Stir until melted. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and quickly spread it out into the corners.
- Tap the tray lightly to distribute the chocolate in a nice even layer, then pop it in the fridge to set for 2-3hrs.
- Take the slice out of the tin and cut into 16 squares. Top each square with a few sea salt flakes.
There may well be thousands of caramel slice recipes out there, but here is a slight twist on the original classic. The salted caramel and rich chocolate really make this a decadently rich treat.