Recipe: Four-cheese smoked mac 'n' cheese topped with cedar shrimp and lemon
Take your mac 'n' cheese game up a level with more cheese, some amazing smokiness, and, if you're feeling adventurous... shrimp
Mac 'n' cheese – it's one of those all-time family favourites that everyone knows and loves. Does anything beat that delicious cheesy gooeyness? If you're looking to step your mac 'n' cheese game up to not just the next level, but like, skipping like 10 levels and taking on the boss, how do you get there?
Using a blend of four delicious cheeses is one thing. We're talking cheddar, gouda, parmesan, AND cream cheese. But to really set it apart, why not try adding some schmooooke into the equation?
This is where the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker comes in. With innovative features such as a DigitalFan that maintains cooking temperatures, patented side wood chip loading system, and Bluetooth smart controls, it's the perfect way to add some amazing smokey flavours to dishes just like this totally extra mac 'n' cheese.
- 1 packet elbow macaroni
- 70g butter
- 70g plain flour
- 750ml milk
- 225g package cream cheese, cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 225g extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 225g Gouda cheese, shredded
- 125g Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Optional: pulled pork, bacon, brisket, etc.
Do you want to add an instruction group title? Optional
- Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 120°C.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine most but not all of your Cheddar and Gouda cheese, then all of your Parmesan cheese, pasta, cream sauce, and optional ingredients. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 9½ inch aluminium roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
- Place in smoker and cook 1 hour at 120°C, until brown, bubbly, and delicious.
But why stop there? If you're looking to really add to this mac 'n' cheese, why not top it with some shrimp?
This rustic cedar shrimp recipe is incredibly simple and easy to make in your Masterbuilt combo grill and smoker, and the delicious cajun flavours it'll hold are going to be carried perfectly by the ideal base that is your gooey, extra cheesy, mac 'n' cheese.
- 1 untreated cedar plank
- Olive oil for coating, plus 2 tbsp
- 500g (1 lb) shrimp, head on and in shell
- 340g (12 oz) Cajun seasoning (your preferred brand)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Italian tomatoes, quartered
- Preheat grill to 100C. Oil the cedar plank on one side. Assemble the plank. Toss the tomatoes and onions with 1 tbsp of the oil and Cajun seasoning (your preferred brand).
- Lay out the tomatoes and onions on the cedar plank, making sure not to get too close to the edge. Toss the shrimp with the remaining oil, and season with Cajun seasoning (your preferred brand).
- Spread the shrimp on top of the onions and tomatoes. Place in the centre of the grill. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon butter.