Recipe: It is that time of year for this classic pudding
This classic Christmas pudding is a must have for the holidays
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup, firmly packed brown sugar
- 375g mixed dried fruit
- ½ cup halved glacé cherries
- ½ cup chopped mixed nuts
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons brandy or a bit more 😉
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- Icing sugar, or brandy custard to serve
- Sift the flour, mixed spice, nutmeg and ginger into a large bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, dried fruit, cherries and mix nuts.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and butter or margarine to the simmer. Remove this from the heat just before it comes to the boil, being careful not to let it boil over.
- Add the brandy, vanilla essence and bicarbonate of soda and stir well.
- Pour milk mixture into the fruit mixture and stir until well combined. (The pudding mixture will be quite wet.)
- Spoon pudding mixture onto the centre of the calico cloth and gather up the cloth around the mixture.
- Tie the calico tightly with string to seal about 3cm above mixture to allow for expansion during cooking.
- Fill a large pot ¼ full with water and bring to the boil.
- Add pudding (the water should come ½ way up side of pudding). Cover with a lid and boil over medium heat for 3 hours, adding extra boiling water when necessary during cooking.
- Remove pudding from saucepan and stand for 10 minutes.
- Carefully peel away calico, turn onto on a plate and dust with icing sugar or pour generously with warm brandy custard to serve.
You will need some calico cloth, or something similar for this recipe.
The time has come again to pull out those Christmas recipes and get cooking. We have 5 of our favourite recipes for your to try this holiday season.
If you would like the recipe for my brandy custard, let me know. Alternatively you can purchase pre-made custard, but why would you…. ??
If you try my recipe please share it with us all 😊