Recipe: Jerk grilled prawns and avocado salad with coconut and lime dressing
Revamping the classic prawn and avocado salad with a Caribbean twist makes the perfect garden party dish
A prawn and avocado salad is a staple barbecue side dish that we all know and love, but is it really a show stopper? You can guarantee it will be by switching your classic Marie Rose sauce for this tropical coconut and lime dressing, made with Grace's coconut water, and marinading your prawns in Dunn's River Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and a sprinkle of All Purpose Seasoning. Come on, they're clearly store cupboard barbecue essentials!
The earthiness of the jerk and the sweetness of the prawns mixed with a refreshing green salad and creamy avocado is the flavour combination we didn't know we needed.
- 300g raw king prawns
- 1 tsp of Dunn's River Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1tsp Dunn's River All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 avocados, cut into bite size chunks
- 1/3 cucumber, cut into bite size chunks
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1 handful coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 310ml can of Grace's Coconut Water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt
- Barbecue skewers
- Marinade the prawns in the jerk seasoning, all purpose seasoning and oil and set aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile, place your spinach in a large flat salad bowl or plate, and top with the avocado, onion and cucumber.
- Put half the coriander, the chilli, lime juice, coconut water, olive oil, honey and salt into a food processor and blend.
- Skewer the prawns and cook on a hot barbecue until pink all the way through.
- Put the prawns on top of the salad, drizzle generously with the dressing and enjoy.