Recipe: Oregano and Parmigiano Reggiano marinated chicken skewers
These nutty, fragrant and succulent chicken skewers are a perfect barbecue addition. Winner winner chicken dinner!
Think Greek gyros, but with an Italian flavour palette. Skewers are a barbecue go to, and with this marinade, you'll be whipping out this recipe every time you light up your grill!
Image credit: Anoushka Nawaz-Khan
The greek yoghurt helps to keep the meat succulent, so when you get that lovely charred exterior, the meat still remains juicy and moist. Big flavours of lemon and oregano make these skewers super delicious, but it's the Parmigiano Reggiano that makes it completely irresistible.
Honestly, if you don't try it, you're missing out.
- 5 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 25g Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Large bunch of oregano (can use dried)
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- Large pinch of sea salt
- Large pinch black pepper
- Rocket to serve (optional)
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Olive oil (optional)
- Parmigiano Reggiano shavings (optional)
- Barbecue skewers
- Chop the chicken thighs into medium sized chunks (usually one thigh into 4-5 pieces) and place in a large bowl.
- Roughly chop your oregano (if using fresh) and add to the chicken alongside the Parmigiano Reggiano, olive oil, yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper, and give a good stir to make sure all the chicken is covered in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Slide the chicken onto the skewers. Don't overload with chicken otherwise it'll likely burn and not cook all the way through.
- Brush your grill or barbecue with a bit of oil to avoid the chicken sticking, and place on your skewers.
- Cook for roughly 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, toss the rocket in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Parmigiano Reggiano shavings.
- Remove chicken when cooked, and serve hot with the rocket salad, or with both in a pitta.