Home cooking brought to you by
Recipe: Shepherd's Pie with a twist
A mustardy twist on the taste of the classic shepherd's pie
- 25g oil
- 400g of minced lamb
- 15g plain flour
- 30g peas
- 30g carrots
- 1 onion diced
- 350ml of lamb stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 500g potatoes peel and quartered
- 50g butter
- 30ml milk
- 2 tablespoons of wholegrain mustard (optional)
- 200g mushrooms sliced (optional)
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
For the mince
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the carrots, peas, mushrooms and onions for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the mince and fry until brown, breaking up any lumps with the back of a spoon. Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the flour.
- Mix everything well and then add the stock. Bring to the boil, season and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring regularly.
For the mash
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C and boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain them well, then add the butter, milk and wholegrain mustard. Mash until smooth and season to taste.
- Pour the meat into a casserole dish, pipe or spoon the mash over the top, then place the shepherd’s pie in the oven to cook until the mash is golden brown.
- Serve with green beans