Recipe: Subway Chicken Teriyaki sub
It's sweet, savoury (and apparently healthy) – and now you can have it at home
Its marketed as one of the healthier options at Subway, but it still manages to give you all the savoury notes and sweetness you crave. As with everything from Subway, the Chicken Teriyaki sub delivers.
You don't have to wait to try it because we have the recipe – all you need is a Subway loaf to put it on, and you can make that here.
- 450g chicken breasts
- 180ml pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 40ml light soy sauce
- 20ml dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- A pinch of white pepper
- 2 tbsp honey
- Vegetable oil
- For the topping, you can use what you like – but Subway recommends cucumber, red pepper, tomato and red onion
- Combine everything except the chicken and your topping choices in a bowl and give it a mix.
- Add the chicken, make sure it's nice and coated, then put it in the fridge for at least half an hour to marinate.
- When ready to go, remove the chicken from the marinade and set aside.
- Add the sauce to a saucepan and bring to a boil before reducing to a medium heat and allowing to simmer for about 10 minutes. It will thicken and should reduce by about a half. Leave it to cool.
- Pat any remaining marinade from the chicken and brush it lightly with some vegetable oil. Cook in a frying pan on a medium heat, turning regularly until it's golden on both sides.
- Slice into strips. When cool, toss it in the teriyaki sauce.
- Add a generous amount of teriyaki chicken to a sub with your choice of topping. You can toast it in the oven as much as you like.