Recipe: These cheesy, gooey skillet baked pizza rolls will bring you so much joy
This one is going to be a surefire crowd-pleaser next time your friends and family are around. Or y'know, eat the lot yourself. We're not judging...
Everyone loves a gooey, deliciously cheesy party snack, and this one right here is bound to be the hit of the night at your next home gathering.
Sharing is caring when it comes to these yummy Skillet Baked Pizza Rolls which are the perfect pull-apart savoury treat. While there's a few steps that go into making them, this isn't a challenging recipe and the results at the end will speak for themselves.
What will make it even easier is cooking it in an Ooni Pizza Oven using one of Ooni's own cast iron skillet pans. These pans are perfect for cooking not just these pizza rolls, but meat, seafood, vegetables, and much more in your Ooni pizza oven.
So, has that tempted you into busting out this surefire hit at your next barbecue or garden party?
- 550g classic pizza dough
- 3 tbsp classic pizza sauce, plus a little extra to serve
- 200g shredded mozzarella
- 100g pepperoni, finely sliced
- Handful basil leaves, torn
- FOR THE HERB BUTTER:
- 100g salted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Prepare your pizza dough ahead of time. A guide to making the perfect Classic Pizza Dough covers everything you need to know.
- For the sauce for these pizza rolls, we recommend preparing our easy Classic Pizza Sauce. With a hint of garlic, salt and basil, it's the ideal pizza sauce that will help bring out the flavours in the other ingredients used here.
- Fire up your Ooni pizza oven. Aim for 300°C (572°F) on the stone baking board inside. You can check the temperature inside your Ooni pizza oven quickly and easily using the Ooni Infrared Thermometer.
- In a bowl, mix together the herb butter ingredients. Set aside.
- Add a little of the herb butter mixture to your Skillet and place inside the oven to warm up.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten each ball of pizza dough into a long oval shape, and trim around the dough using a knife to shape each ball into a rectangle.
- Spread two tablespoons of the pizza sauce over each piece of dough, then top with the mozzarella, basil and pepperoni. Save some of the mozzarella to use as a topping later on.
- Take the edge of the pizza dough sheet and roll the dough in on itself, forming one long tube. Once rolled, slice the tube into 1-inch-thick portions. Repeat for the remaining two pizza dough sheets.
- Remove the warmed skillet from your oven. Turn the stuffed pizza dough portions upright, so that that cheese is facing upwards, and tuck the rolls into the Skillet. Repeat with as many of the dough rolls as you can fit into the Skillet - they should be snug inside.
- Pour the herb butter over the top, and return the Skillet to your Ooni for 5-6 minutes or until the tops of the rolls have turned golden brown.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella over the rolls and continue cooking in your Ooni until the cheese has melted and is a light golden colour.
- Serve the warm pizza rolls alongside a bowl of pizza sauce so your guests can dip to their delight!
Ooni Pizza Ovens