Recipe: Want To Make The Ultimate Show-stopping Cake?
My Eton Mess Sponge Cake is just the beginning, there are many different cakes you can make from this full proof recipe.
- 350g caster sugar
- 350g soft margarine
- 2 eggs
- 275ml milk
- 450g self-raising flour
- 300ml thickened cream
- Some Vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tin, (any shape is fine, we have used 2 rectangle tins), and set aside.
- Place the sugar and margarine in a medium size mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs one at a time and whisk for about 2 minutes.
- Now add the milk and flour then carefully mix slowly for 1 minute and then increase speed until all combined. Whisk for 3 minutes more.
- Next pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Place in the oven and bake until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool fully before assembling.
To assemble the cake:
- In a medium bowl whisk the cream and a few drops of vanilla extract until the cream is firm and makes soft peaks, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- With a large bread knife, trim the top of the cake to make it level.
- Next cut the cake in half, length ways.
- Place the top layer of the cake top side down, this is now the bottom of the cake.
- Smear the strawberry jam on top of the bottom layer of cake. Then place half of the whipped cream on top of the jam.
- Place the remaining layer of the cake on top, making sure to have the smooth bottom side of the cake as the new top.
- Decorate the top of the cake with your favourite fresh fruit and some cream.
- I topped mine with my delicious Eton Mess Recipe, you can find it here…. https://australianflavours.com.au/recipes/eton-mess-meringue-dessert/
This is a super simple sponge cake recipe which can be used as a base for many different cakes. . It can be made with just about any seasonal fruit and with, or without m This example I have made is topped with my Eton Mess Recipe and fresh fruit. Alternatively you could add 3 tablespoons cocoa with the flour to make chocolate cake. I would love to see what you can create, so try this recipe and share your pics 😊