Recipes: Chef Tom Kerridge’s High Intensity Interval Tasting canapés
Using Carr’s crackers for a workout to hit every taste receptor in your mouth – the kind of workout we can get on board with
We all know the importance of balance, eating healthily, and mixing it in with a good amount of exercise. However, this is a HIIT workout with a difference… this, is High Intensity Interval Tasting.
Chef Tom Kerridge has teamed up with Carr’s crackers to create six recipes to hit every taste receptor in your mouth – from umami to sweet – to give your tastebuds a proper workout. We told you it was our kind of exercise!
It turns out, more than a quarter of Brits can’t remember trying any new food or flavours over the past year, as we reported earlier this year.
Have you tried any new foods last year?
Carr’s and Tom Kerridge are on a mission to awaken those tastebuds, and get people trying some new tasty things. Plus, it’s party/Christmas season coming up, and we might even be able to see people this year! This little lot will be perfect for some seriously tasty canapés – and a fun talking point.
Our personal favourite is the acidic one. It is DELICIOUS. And yes, we did hope this might like us like bananas... but we're still on the fence with those.
UMAMI: Smoked Aubergine with Vegan Feta and Smoked Almonds – with Carr’s Table Water biscuit
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 tsp toasted ground cumin
- 2 tsp toasted ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100ml coconut cream (or double cream if not vegan)
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 80g crumbled vegan feta (or normal feta if you prefer)
- 4 tbsp coarse chopped smoked almonds
- 4 sprigs of coriander to serve
- 1 red chilli sliced just to garnish
- Carr’s Table Water biscuits
- Preheat a pan on the stove until hot then add the aubergines and fry until the skin begins to blister.
- Rotate the aubergines until the skin is crispy and the juices are beginning to seep out of the aubergines.
- Once done, lay the aubergines onto a wire rack with a tray underneath and pop into a preheated oven 180C for 10 minutes to finish off the cooking.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Once cool, open the aubergines up with a sharp knife to expose the flesh inside.
- Carefully scrape out the seeds and pulp into a sieve with a bowl underneath. Discard the skins.
- Leave for 30 minutes to drain the excess liquid.
- Next, tip the drained aubergine onto a chopping board and chop the aubergines until it becomes nice and smooth, or simply pulse blitz the flesh in a blender to create a puree.
- Now preheat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the spices to the pan and toast for 3 minutes just to release the flavour.
- Carefully add the aubergine puree and coat in the spice mix for a minute or so.
- Pour in the coconut cream and melt it until it binds with the smoky aubergine.
- Season with salt pepper and the lemon zest and juice.
- Mix well and stir in the coriander to finish.
- You can serve this either warm or cold, up to you.
- Simply spoon onto the Carr’s Table Water biscuits and sprinkle over the feta, almonds, chilli and coriander.
ACIDIC: Pulled Brisket and Slaw – with Carr’s Crispbread Chive biscuit
- 200g pulled brisket pre-cooked and flaked
- ...For the sauce...
- 100ml cabernet sauvignon vinegar
- 50g muscovado sugar
- 40ml cola
- 125ml ketchup
- 4 good splashes of hot sauce
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- ...For the slaw...
- ¼ small red cabbage grated
- 1 small carrot grated
- ½ red onion
- 1 tsp chopped curly parsley
- 4 tbsp garlic mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp American mustard in a piping bag
- 4 tbsp sliced pickled chilli
- 4 tbsp crispy onions
- 8 x Carr’s Crispbread Chive A
- In a saucepan, add all of the sauce ingredients and bring up to the boil. Reduce the sauce by half and then add the flaked brisket, turn the sauce down to low and simmer for 10 minutes until the beef is warmed through.
- While the beef is heating, grate the cabbage, carrot and onion and toss together.
- Then bind with the mayonnaise and chopped parsley, and keep to one side.
- Lay the Carr’s Crispbreads onto a serving board and spoon on the slaw as a base, then pile up the brisket on top.
- To finish, drizzle with the mustard, and sprinkle on the chillies and crispy onions.
SAVOURY: Bresaola, Fig, Rocket and Parmesan – with Carr’s Flatbread Salt & Pepper biscuit
- 8 slices of best quality bresaola
- 4 ripe Provencal black figs halved
- 2 small handfuls of wild rocket leaves
- 4 tsp good olive oil
- 4 tsp reduced balsamic vinegar
- 40g block of aged parmesan (for grating)
- 8 x Carr’s Flatbread Salt & Pepper
- Remove the bresaola from the fridge and remove from the packet at least ten minutes before serving as it will allow more meaty taste to come through - cold meat is never really that nice.
- Meanwhile, lay the fig halves flesh side down onto a tray and with a fork lightly crush them.
- Then place the crushed figs onto the Carr’s Flatbread, top off with the bresaola and rocket.
- Finally drizzle on the oil and vinegar and grate over lots of parmesan.
SPICY: Stir Fried Garlic Prawns with Virgin Mary Mayo – with Carr’s Ciabatta Sundried Tomato & Basil biscuit
- 1 packet of shell off cooked king prawns
- 50g salted butter
- 1 tbsp chopped curly parsley
- 3 cloves of peeled garlic, grated
- 4 good pinches of smoked paprika
- 4 lemon wedges
- 8 Carr’s Ciabatta Sundried Tomato & Basil Crackers
- ...For the Virgin Mary dressing...
- 100g mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp horseradish cream
- 2 splashes of chili sauce
- Pinch of celery salt
- Heat a wok or frying pan on a medium heat and melt the butter until foaming slightly.
- Add the prawns and garlic to infuse with the butter and fry for two minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Mix the Virgin Mary dressing ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the garlicky prawns onto the Carr’s Ciabatta Crackers, drizzle with the spicy dressing and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.
BITTER: Avocado, Finger Lime and Carr’s Coriander Cracker – with Carr’s Flatbread Salt & Pepper
- 2 ripe Haas avocados
- 2 tbsp chopped green chilli
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 plum tomatoes skinned deseeded and diced
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1 finger lime halved and pods scooped out.
- 8 coriander leaves shredded
- 8 Carr’s Flatbread Salt & Pepper
- Place the avocado flesh, chilli, coriander and tomatoes into a food processor and blitz for 30 seconds so that you are left with a coarse guacamole.
- Season with salt and some cayenne pepper – the more, the hotter!
- Spoon the mix directly onto the Carr’s Flatbread Salt & Pepper biscuit, then dollop on the sour cream and scatter over the finger lime seeds and shredded coriander.
- If you like, crush some Carr's Flatbread Salt & Pepper over the top to imitate tortilla chips.
SWEET: Crushed Banana with Cereal Flakes, Maple Syrup and Crunchy Peanut Butter – with Carr’s Large Table Water biscuit
- 2 x large ripe bananas
- 2 x tbsp maple syrup
- 4 x tbsp chopped dates
- 1 x lime zested
- 3 tbsp thick Greek yoghurt
- 8 x Carr’s Large Table Water biscuits
- ...For the topping...
- 4 tbsp crushed corn flakes
- 8 tbsp peanut butter
- 4 tbsp toasted desiccated coconut
- 4 small sprigs of mint
- 1 lime
- Place the peeled bananas into a large bowl and roughly crush with the back of a fork.
- Then stir in the maple syrup, yoghurt, dates, and lime zest.
- Spread the peanut butter over the Carr’s Large Table Water biscuits bases and then spoon on big dollops of the banana topping.A
- Finish off with the coconut and crushed cornflakes, and zest of one lime, mint sprigs and serve. A proper way to start the day!