Home cooking brought to you by
Rhubarb and fennel coleslaw recipe
A different slaw that goes perfectly with pulled lamb
- 4x 20cm rhubarb stalks
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 2tsp runny honey
- 1 ennel bulb
- 1 red onion
- 1 celery stalk and leaves
- 25ml cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt, pepper and sugar for seasoning
- Celery seeds
- Slice the rhubarb into bite-size pieces.
- In a pan, bring the cider vinegar and honey to the boil.
- Switch off the heat, add the rhubarb to the pan, stir well, cover and allow to fully cool.
- Chop the fennel, onion and celery into bite-size slices.
- When cool, strain the rhubarb and retain the pickling liquor.
- Combine all the vegetables in a big bowl.
- Add the oil, egg yolk, dijon mustard and lemon juice to the pickling liquor and whiz up with a hand blender to make the dressing.
- Season the dressing to taste with salt, pepper and sugar, then pour over the vegetables and mix well.
- Allow to rest in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
- Serve with a garnish topping of celery seeds, celery leaves and fennel fronds.