Ricotta & spinach lasagne recipe – a perfect pasta treat for Mother's Day
A hearty lasagne with classic flavours to whip up as a treat for Mum
Still in search of the perfect dish to surprise your mum with this Mother's Day?
End your search here – this beautiful veggie lasagne made with Barilla Lasagne sheets, fresh ricotta and spinach will become her new favourite.
- 1 box of Barilla Lasagne
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1 cup of onion, diced
- 400g of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated and divided
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 50g packages of frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 cups milk, gently warmed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 ˚F.
- In a large skillet sweat the onion in olive oil over moderate heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add spinach and season with salt and pepper; sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat to cool down.
- Ricotta mixture: Combine ricotta, spinach, and ¾ cup Parmigiano cheese; season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare béchamel sauce: In a saucepan melt butter and add flour, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add warm milk and bring to a simmer, whisk well so there are no clumps, season with salt and pepper.
- When the sauce comes up to a simmer cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pan spray a 13” x 9” baking dish.
- On the first layer spread ½ cup béchamel sauce.
- Top with 4 Lasagne sheets, 1 cup ricotta mixture and a sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese.
- Continue the same procedure for 3 more layers.
- or the top layer spread remaining béchamel and ricotta mixture, sprinkle with Parmigiano cheese; bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly on top.
- Before slicing the Lasagne, let it rest for 5 minutes.