Short memory trip to the Medditerean
Smell of roman cumin, mutmeg and veal - a perfect memory trip to Greece.
- olive oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 500 g ground veal (preferably) or beef
- ground cinnamon
- ground Roman cumin
- ground aniseed
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 3 - 5 crushed cloves of garlic
- 150 ml tomato puree
- 1 - 2 dl red wine
- black pepper
- 2 eggplants
- 6 - 8 big potatoes
- 2 soup spoon of butter
- 2 soup spoon of flour
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g grated parmesan cheese
- grated nutmeg
- Roast the onions on olive oil. When it starts to be transparent, add the meat and roast it together for a few minutes.
- Add garlic, cinnamon, Roman cumin, aniseed and oregano. Roast till all fragrances are developed (3 - 5 minutes).
- Add tomato puree, salt, pepper and wine. Stir it, cover with a lid and let it slowly cook on a low temperature for 20 minutes. Stir occassionally. Pour more wine, if necessary. The rest of the bottle is of course all yours.
- Washed eggplants cut on 0,5 cm slices. Sprinkle them with olive oil and salt, spread them on baking tray and grill them in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Do not grill them too much, they should not be melted.
- Peel potatoes and cut them on 0,3 cm slices.
- Cover roasting pan with olive oil. Create a layer of potatoes, a layer of eggplants and pour half of the meat sauce on it. Repeat all three layers and finish it with the third potato layer on meat.
- Cover the roasting pan with a lid or tinfoil. Bake it on 170 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small pot and roast flour on it. Produce pale roux. Add milk an nutmeg and let it boil for a moment. Add cheese and let it melt. The sauce should be thin, liquid.
- Take the moussaka out of the oven, pour the cheesy roux over it and return it to the oven for another 20 minutes. Do not cover it and increase the temperature on 180 - 200, depends on your oven. The result should be golden crust on the surface.
Travelling by cooking
I´m quite travel-sick. I never believed I'd be so nervous about closed borders. Czechia is a country that shut down borders totally for its own citizens as well as foreigners, and it seems it will be for months. And we do not have a good experiences with shut borders. On the other hand, we have a lot of experiences how to break them :-).
But now, I still respect the system and travel only in books and kitchen.