Vegan broccoli salad recipe #sidesmatter
Our entry into the #sidesmatter challenge
BBQ season always brings out the sides, and we love this time of year for that very fact! There literally is nothing better than watching people digging into sides and filling their plates up with all the yummy treats summer has to bring.
Jersey royal potato salad, homemade goji slaw and BBQed sweetcorn
I love making potato salad, it's one of my crowd pleasers. The best way to make it I find is with new potatoes – when Jersey royals are in season they are just fantastic too. I make a sauce using vegan mayo, Colemans mustard powder, fresh sliced spring onions, fresh chives from the garden a pinch of salt and black pepper.
I also seem to make slaw on a weekly basis! We quite often have homemade kebabs or salads so I am forever making slaws. I like mixing it up a bit every now and then and I got really excited seeing @caravanlarry's rhubarb slaw. I will definitely be giving that one a go sometime soon!
- 1 broccoli
- 1 pack of asparagus tips
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 carrot grated
- 1/4 cup of almonds
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of cranberries
- 1/4 of red cabbage finely sliced
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- Start by cutting the broccoli into manageable florets. Place a pan of water onto a medium high heat and once it's hit a rolling boil, place the broccoli in for 4 mins. Remove into a bowl of ice cold water.
- Next grab a griddle, and griddle the asparagus in some olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grab your serving bowl and place the red cabbage in, along with the almonds, cranberries, walnuts and grated carrot. Give it a toss together then add the broccoli and asparagus.
- Make the dressing by placing the vegan mayo, agave, dijon, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl and drizzle over.
If you're not Vegan it would work really well with goat's cheese or feta sprinkled on top.