Sour cream sponge cake recipe
A sponge cake so smooth that it will melt on your tongue
This is a recipe for a simple sour cream and apple-based sponge cake, which you can add a touch of rum/coffee to, if you like. Because coffee is always welcome, right?
- 100g butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 200ml sour cream
- 1.5 cup flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (not necessary if you have self raising flour)
- 2 apples
- 1/2 cup dry raisins
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds (bigger pieces are better than ground almonds)
- 1/2 cup sugar, for glazing
- 1.5 tsp rum/brandy
- 2-3 soup spoons espresso
- Blend the sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon together. Add the eggs and sour cream and blend it well.
- Grate the apples, including the peel. Add it to the mixture together with the flour, bicarbonate of soda, raisins and almonds. Blend well.
- Pour the mixture into an oiled and floured cake tin and bake at 170C for approximately 1 hour.
- Mix the sugar, rum/brandy and espresso together to form a glaze.
- Glaze the warm sponge cake.
- Allow it to cool down.
- Enjoy in any way (and with anybody) you fancy.
1 cup = 250ml