Spanish black rice recipe: even more delicious than paella
Trust me on this one
Arroz negro, or Arroz Negré, is a Valencian and Catalan dish made with squid and rice, similar to seafood paella.
This shouldn't be confused with Black Rice, a type of rice grain with this natural dark colour. In this dish, it is obtained by using squid ink, the star of this recipe, that really helps to bring all the flavours together.
- Squid (you can also use shrimps and similar, but keep in mind that the star of this dish is the squid ink)
- Green Bell Pepper
- Rice (round grain rice if possible)
- Fish broth
- Squid ink, very important, otherwise you're just making rice (Here we find it in sachets at supermarkets)
- Saffron (optional)
- We chop the onion, green bell pepper and slice some garlic cloves.
- We cut the squid in small pieces or rings.
- We preheat some fish broth in a pot; more or less the normal amount you use for your rice, I used 2.5 cups for 1 cup of rice (keep in mind this rice is eaten dry almost dry).
- In a mortar, we mash 2 garlic cloves with some parsley, saffron and a little bit of salt, (if the fish broth has salt you could skip the salt here).
- I used a big pan because I don't have a Paella pan, but it's normally made in one of those.
- With a little bit of oil we roast the squid and we remove them from the pan just a little before they are done.
- Now we add the garlic and cook until golden.
- We add the onion and bell pepper and we roast them until they are soft and gold.
- We add the rice and the squid ink (I used one sachet for one cup of rice) we toast the rice a little bit until it's mixed with the ink and veggies.
- We add the fish broth, the squid and the mix of the mortar. (we try to fix if it needs salt. We cook on a medium heat for 10-15 min until it's done. (Don't stir the rice while it's cooking).
- When It's done, let it rest for 5 minutes.
- It is normally served with some aioli or some lemon.