Strawberry & Goat’s Cheese Salad recipe – fruit always makes salads superior
Strawberries work with anything, change my mind. Cooking duo Joey & Katy Cook agree with me...
One of the things I like about salads is you can throw just about anything you want in the bowl and it kinda makes sense. You've got your tomatoes, you've got your vegetables and then you can go crazy and mix them with meat, cheese, fish, fruits to combine bitter and salty with sweet and juicy.
That's exactly what ace cooking duo, Joey & Katy did. They've teamed up with Liebherr appliances, creators of beautifully modern and hi-spec fridges and freezers to bring us the ultimate salad with a fruit literally everyone loves: strawberries. Get this one in before you can't get hold of strawberries any more!
The lettuce and baby spinach gives it a fresh character, mixed with a salty element that comes from the pepper and seeds, and the strawberries give it a sweet twist. And then you've got to add cheese, because it's the law. Ah yes, and one last thing, you gotta pair it with a bottle of English sparkling wine. Because we all need a bit of cheering up with a bottle of fizz!
- 2 heaped tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 2 heaped tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
- 90 ml of balsamic vinegar
- 25-30 g of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of flakey sea salt
- 4 slices of sourdough
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 150 g of baby spinach
- 200 g of lettuce
- 120 g of goat’s cheese
- 300 g of ripe red strawberries
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and roast the seeds for 6-8 minutes.
- Mix balsamic vinegar, sugar and ¼ teaspoon of flakey sea salt in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer.
- Chop the sourdough and strip the thyme leaves from their stalks to prepare the croutons. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and flakey sea salt and roast in the oven for 6-10 minutes.
- Chop the spinach and lettuce and slice the strawberries.
- Crumble the goat’s cheese and add fresh mint.
- Toss everything in a bowl and add black pepper.
- Pop the bottle of English sparkling wine.
Joey & Katy